Have you ever been to Olive Garden and had their soup and salad combo? If not, I definitely suggest trying it!! The one soup I always order is their Pasta e Fagioli soup. It is packed with flavor and sooooooo delicious!! I was so in the mood for it a few weeks back, but since it was later in the day, the kids were tired and getting cranky, I definitely did not feel like packing them up in the car and going out for dinner. I decided to throw some ingredients together and hope for the best. The outcome was perfect! It tastes just like the classic Olive Garden dish and even my kids went crazy over it! It is hearty, simple to make, and packed with veggies! Since it makes a lot, it is perfect to put the leftovers in the freezer for another night!!
- 1 cup Ditalini pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped (I always use baby carrots, if using whole carrots, use about 3)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomato
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- Boil water in a large pot and cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in dutch over or large pot and cook Italian sausage until cooked through and crumbly. Set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to pot and cook the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery for about 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Pour in chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomato, dried basil, salt/pepper, Italian seasoning, Italian sausage, and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add in the beans and cooked pasta.