Since this past weekend was a long holiday weekend with Memorial Day, we were able to enjoy TWO new breakfasts! Typically, my hubby makes something yummy on Saturday, and we have the leftovers on Sunday. Since he was off Monday, he also whipped up this cake to enjoy! You may notice that I say “he” makes the weekend breakfasts, and yep, that’s right!! Since I am not a huge breakfast fan, he makes lots of yummy recipes over the weekends! Anything from coffee cake, to muffins, to egg dishes, and more! I sure am lucky, right?
This cake turned out amazing! The batter was extremely thick and I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, but it was amazing! It had the perfect amount of sweetness (not too much, just enough), and the blueberries in this were amazing! It made a full 9×13 pan, so we have lots of leftovers to enjoy during the short work week!! This is definitely the perfect breakfast to make for company, or even a sweet treat in the evening! Pair with a cup of coffee and its the perfect combo!!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract (you can sub vanilla if needed)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and sour cream, until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs and almond extract. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Batter will be extremely thick, that is okay!
- In a small bowl, combine the blueberries with the 1 tbsp sugar, and 1 tbsp flour. Set aside.
- In a different small bowl, combine the brown sugar with the melted butter.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9×13 baking pan.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Pour batter into greased baking tray. Since batter is so thick, you may want to spray some cooking spray on your hands and evenly smooth the batter out.
- Spread brown sugar mixture over top of cake.
- Place in oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and baked through!
- Remove from oven, slice and enjoy!!