This Easy Beef Goulash is a recipe that will satisfy the entire family! Packed with flavor, this hearty meal is perfect for the cooler weather!
This Goulash recipe is actually one I made last year around this time! By the time I wanted to share it on the blog, it was mid summer and about 100 degrees outside, so didn’t think a “stew” type recipe was appropriate, haha!
Years ago, I made a different version of this, however, it included macaroni pasta in it!
After talking to friends one evening, they started talking about how the authentic version (Hungarian) actually was more of a stew versus pasta base, and had potatoes in it!
Out of curiosity, I scanned through Google and Pinterest to see what it included and to see how my original one differed.
After several minutes of browsing, I realized I had made an American version, which was pasta based, however, the Hungarian version was completly different and looked amazing!
I decided to attempt the new version myself and have our friends over for what we called “Goulash Night”.
After browsing several recipes, I took bits and parts of several and combined them into the version I now call “Easy Beef Goulash”.
The end result was fabulous and even our friends, who had had an authentic version previously, loved it and said I nailed it!
The dish is very similar to beef stew in my opinion. A hearty, flavorful mixture that is loaded with tender beef and veggies.
You can serve this with some tasty, crusty bread…or perhaps a side salad?
Since it has lots of veggies and beef in it, it is a full meal in itself!
With Winter upon us, this Easy Beef Goulash is a great option to warm you up! Leftovers are just as delicious and each batch makes plenty to serve a family!
Enjoy and be sure to let me know what you think! Also, if you are on Instagram, let’s connect! Click HERE to follow me!
Cast Iron Dutch oven (my fav): https://amzn.to/3mfuc8p
*You can brown the meat for a few minutes prior to following the directions below, or follow as written, up to you based on how much time you have available!
Easy Beef Goulash
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 1/2 lbs beef, cut into chunks *chuck roast is what I use, choose what cut you want to use
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a dutch oven or stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add in the onions and allow to simmer until they turn slightly golden, about 6-7 minutes.
- Reduce heat and stir in the paprika, beef, and garlic.
- Cook on medium heat until beef is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the peppers and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, beef broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover pot with lid, and reduce heat to medium low.
- Allow to simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!