Mom’s Vegetable Beef Barley Soup is packed with flavor! Tender vegetables, barley, and beef combined in a broth that the entire family loves!
This recipe is one that my mom has been making for years! Each and every Fall/Winter season, my mom adds this into her meal rotation and it’s always a favorite!
As the years have passed, she has changed it up from adding barley to noodles. Depending on the vegetables she has on hand, sometimes those change up as well.
If you love soups, check out these other family favorites:
Lots of variation you can try with this recipe, but all will have an incredible flavor!
If you’re wondering what to serve this with, you can keep it simple and offer a crusty bread. If you are a salad lover, a side salad goes great with this as well!
Now that my brother and I are older and have family’s of our own, my mom will make this for my dad and her. Since my hubby and I live right down the street from my parents, I have a tendency to invite myself over for a bowl because its one of my favs!
When one of us has a sick kiddo or family member, my mom also makes a big pot of this and drops it off to our houses. Nothing helps you feel better than a nice, warm bowl of hearty soup, right?!
If you have a dutch oven, add the ingredients in and let it simmer a few hours before dinner. If you have a soup pot, feel free to do the same! You can even adapt this to a slow cooker by cooking the beef, adding in the ingredients as listed below, and setting on low for about 4-6 hours.
Mom’s Vegetable Beef Barley Soup is comfort food at its finest! Print the recipe below and be sure to add it to your next meal plan!
Mom's Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
- 1 lb beef
- 1/2 cup onion *chopped
- 1 garlic clove *minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 14 oz diced tomatoes *do not drain can
- 1/2 cup medium barley *Quaker brand is what we use
- 1/2 cup celery *sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots *diced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Basil
- 9 oz mixed vegetables
- In a 4 quart saucepan or dutch oven, brown the ground beef.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook until the onion is tender; drain fat.
- Add remaining ingredients, minus the frozen vegetables.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer about 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add frozen vegetables and cook about 10 more minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add additional water or extra can of tomatoes if soup becomes too thick upon standing. Enjoy!
Recipe updated: 9/20/21