Years ago, my Grandma put together a recipe book of all her favorite family recipes. She made a copy for each of the women in the family, so we could all make the favorites ourselves. I remember receiving my copy and flipping through each page excitingly. There were recipes for desserts, dinners, appetizers, drinks, and more. The best part of all…..most of the recipes I had had in my childhood and loved!!
Fast forward to last month when my hubby had his birthday. He is a HUGE fan of chocolate cupcakes with white frosting. Me, I am a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting. You can never have too much chocolate, right?? Well, each year, I make him a batch of his favorite cupcakes and then have him take them into work with him because white frosting and I don’t click, haha! This year, I decided to open up the recipe book I got from my Grandma and make her chocolate mayonnaise cake, only in cupcake form.
Not only were the cupcakes moist and flavorful, but I had them ready for the oven in no time. I was able to make about 18 cupcakes with one batch! Once cooled, I topped them with some white frosting and he was in cupcake Heaven! Even his coworkers enjoyed them the next day!
*This recipe can also be made into cake form using a 9 x 13!!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, and hot water in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the salt, cocoa powder, flour, and baking soda.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined.
- Add in vanilla.
- Pour batter into greased muffin cups, or a greased cake pan depending on if you are making cupcakes or a cake.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 350, for about 35-40 minutes if baking cake, or 20-25 minutes if baking cupcakes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting! Enjoy!