With the summer weather coming our way, I was in the mood to make something for dessert that would fit with the season. Since my family loves strawberries and I had some lemons on hand, I decided to make these bars. Not only are they simple to make, but they have a refreshing taste that doesn’t leave you feeling too full, or on a major sugar high! The kids each loved their piece and my hubby brought the rest into work! The strawberry and lemon compliment each other perfectly making these bars my new summer favorite dessert!!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup cold butter (must be cold)
- 2 packages (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- Whipped Topping/Whole Strawberries (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, powdered sugar, and lemon peel.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender, or using two table knives (pulling them through the butter in opposite directions)
- Cut mixture until crumbly. Press into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake in oven for about 20-22 minutes, or until light brown.
- In a different bowl, combine the cream cheese and sugar.
- Add in the egg, one at a time, followed by the lemon juice.
- When crust is done baking, remove from oven and spread strawberry preserves on top.
- Next, spread the cream cheese layer on top of the strawberry layer.
- Place pan back into oven for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for one hour.
- Place in refrigerator for 6-8 hours.
- Cut into bars and chill when not serving.