A refreshing, lightly sweetened, ice coffee with a hint a vanilla flavor! This iced coffee is a favorite on a warm afternoon!
Last weekend, my hubby and I ran around running tons of errands, doing chores around the house, and entertaining the kids. Needless to say, by the afternoon, we both needed a “pick me up” type drink.
Living in Houston, TX…..the last thing I wanted to make was a warm cup of coffee. Yes, I drink one….or two…. in the morning, but in the afternoon, when it is about 1000 degrees outside, give or take a few of course, I don’t typically want a warm drink. Therefore, I opted for iced coffees!!
Have you ever tried McDonald’s iced coffee? Especially the vanilla version? YUM!! Yes, probably 1500 grams of sugar and calories, but oh so yummy! I decided to make a much healthier, budget friendly version at home and both my hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed this!!
I had this ready to enjoy within minutes, using on hand ingredients. The vanilla was just the perfect amount, and the simple syrup can be adjusted to preference. If you like things very sweet, use more, whereas if you prefer just a hint, use a small amount!
From my kitchen to yours, I hope you enjoy this and it “picks you up” on those busy, long days. This refreshing drink is just the thing you need!!
Vanilla Iced Coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup coffee, cooled to room temperature
- 4 tbsp milk or half & half
- To make the simple syrup: combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium high heat.
- Stir until all sugar is dissolved completely.
- Add in the vanilla extract, stirring until combined.
- Turn heat off and allow to cool.
- Fill two mason jars (or coffee mugs) with ice.
- Pour 1 cup coffee into each jar/mug.
- Add desired amount of simple syrup to each mug. *I use about 1/4 cup in each
- Add 2 tbsp milk to each mug and stir well.