A fun twist on the classic sandwich, this Tuna Melt Panini starts with a crunch and ends with a cheesy, flavor packed tuna mixture in the center!
Have you tried a panini? Years ago, I was scrolling through my Facebook page, I noticed my neighbor had posted her panini press for sale. To be honest, I had never heard of a panini press, so I quickly looked up what it was and decided to buy it from her.
A panini or panino is a sandwich made with Italian bread, usually served warmed by grilling or toasting.
To me, the press looked very similar to a mini grill and griddle, so I definitely was intrigued!
After looking up recipes, ideas, and how to make paninis, I went to the store, bought a few basic ingredients and made them for lunch.
Both my hubby and I immediately loved our sandwich and immediately began brain storming fun new varieties to try in the coming days/weeks! From roast beef, to turkey, tuna, ham, and more….we were inspired. Then, dreaming up new toppings from peppers, to spinach, cheeses, and sauces!
Be sure to check out these other great panini recipes:
This tuna version came about because I was SO in the mood for a panini, but remembered my youngest kiddo had finished off the lunch meat for his lunch.
Since I didn’t feel like going to the store for more, I rummaged through my pantry and decided to make a tuna mixture, but enjoy it as a panini versus on regular bread.
After preparing the tuna mixture, I stuffed it onto some sliced focaccia bread, added some cheese, and off to the panini press it went.
My hubby had one as well and we both enjoyed it! Next time we make these, I may add in some fresh spinach to ours to get some greens in and add a veggie!
Maybe even add a splash or two of hot sauce to yours? Or use hot sauce as a dip for this panini to really spice it up!
If you love a quick and easy sandwich for lunch or dinner, be sure to print the recipe below. This Tuna Melt Panini is Cheesy, flavorful tuna mixture inside Italian bread and toasted!
Tuna Melt Panini
- 6 oz tuna *drained
- 1/3 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup onion *finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 loaf Foccacia bread *cut into desired size sandwiches, also slice in half to fill with tuna
- Sliced Cheese *any works, we use American
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients minus the bread and cheese.
- Spoon tuna mixture onto one side of the bread.
- Place one slice of cheese on top of tuna and cover to create sandwich.
- Place sandwich on to press and close lid. Allow to cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sandwich is toasted.
- *If using a griddle or pan, cook on each side for a few minutes, to toast evenly.
- Remove from griddle/press and serve.