Believe it or not, I had never made Quinoa, never tasted it, etc. I had heard great things about it, but never bought any to try. I had mentioned my interest briefly to my husband one evening. He was in charge of the Costco run the next day and when he returned, he had bought a Costco sized bag of Quinoa to try. Good hubby, right? Anyhow, I threw some things together and attempted my first recipe using it, and it was a success. I could not believe how flavorful this dish was, and how healthy it was! My kids loved it as well and plowed through their plates!! I highly recommend this dinner. You can even add in a little sausage or chicken if you desire!!
- 1 1/2 cups Quinoa, rinsed
- 3 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6-8 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup Feta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Stir in Quinoa and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 18 minutes, or until water is evaporated.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the onion until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the corn in and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Add in the Quinoa, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and lime juice.
- Toss until well mixed.
- Add in Feta cheese and cilantro.