This Mexican Quinoa Salad is packed with flavor and includes black beans, corn, tomatoes, Feta cheese, and more! A healthy side dish or meal option!
Believe it or not, I had never made Quinoa, never tasted it, etc. I had heard great things about it, but never bought any to try.
I had mentioned my interest briefly to my husband one evening. He was in charge of the Costco run the next day and when he returned, he had bought a Costco sized bag of Quinoa to try.
Good hubby, right? Anyhow, I threw some things together and attempted my first recipe using it, and it was a success.
I could not believe how flavorful this dish was, and how healthy it was!
Light and refreshing Mexican quinoa salad is made with cooked quinoa, plump cherry tomatoes, black beans, corn, and a tasty lime vinaigrette.
My kids loved it as well and plowed through their plates!! You can even add in a little sausage, pork, or chicken if you desire!! Not only is this a great main dish option, but it pairs perfectly as a side dish, snack, or brought to a picnic!
Ingredients Needed for this Mexican Quinoa Salad:
Black beans, drained and rinsed
Cherry tomatoes, quartered
How to prepare:
Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil.
Stir in Quinoa and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 18 minutes, or until water is evaporated.
Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the onion until tender, about 6 minutes.
Add the corn in and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Toss in the beans and cook an additional 3 minutes.
Transfer mixture to a bowl.
Add in the Quinoa, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and lime juice.
Toss until well mixed.
Add in Feta cheese and cilantro. Serve!
Check out these other healthy recipes from the blog:
This flavorful Mexican Quinoa Salad recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and the perfect side dish/meal to try! Print or save the recipe below and enjoy!
Mexican Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/2 cups Quinoa *rinsed
- 3 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion *chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 15 oz black beans *drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes *quartered
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 tablespoon lime juice *more if desired for taste
- 1 cup Feta cheese *crumbled
- 1/2 cup cilantro *chopped
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Stir in Quinoa and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 18 minutes, or until water is evaporated.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the onion until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the corn in and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Add in the Quinoa, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and lime juice.
- Toss until well mixed.
- Add in Feta cheese and cilantro. Serve!