Over the years, I have tried soooooo many versions of cornbread. Everything from loaded cornbread, jalapeno, sweet, southern style, etc. My hubby and I both prefer a simple, sweetened version, so that has always been what we searched for. Last weekend, I made a pot of our Game day chili, and wanted some cornbread with it. I came across this recipe on Pinterest and it had great reviews. As I was reading some of the comments left, I followed their suggestions, changing it up a bit. Well, the end product was perfect. Incredibly simple to whip up, slightly sweet, but not too much, and moist. It didn’t have a ton to it, which I prefer. It was the perfect addition to our bowl of chili, and is our new go to recipe. Definitely try it out if you too, prefer a slightly sweetened cornbread!! Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 5 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the eggs, milk, and melted butter.
- Mix until no more lumps and all is combined.
- Pour mixture into the greased pan and place pan into the oven.
- Bake for about 16-18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into middle.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving! Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: Gnowfglins