Yep, you read that right! Death by Chocolate!! Chocolate overload all in one innocent muffin! Okay, maybe its not too innocent, but I like to think of muffins as healthy…..because otherwise I would put some frosting on top and call it a cupcake, haha!!
Last week, my sweet tooth was in full swing and I was in need of a chocolate fix. Since I wanted something quick and easy, I didn’t want to whip up a cake, brownies, or even cookies. Plus, muffins are breakfast food in my mind, therefore I can have chocolate for breakfast! Woo hoo!!
These muffins are incredibly moist, packed with chocolate, but not rich! I had one with my morning coffee for breakfast and it was a great sweet treat! If you can’t or don’t want the chocolate in the morning, go ahead and have these as an afternoon snack or after dinner dessert!
These muffins freeze perfectly, so you can eat one, freeze the rest, and pull one out as you want it!
Hope you enjoy these as much as my family and I did!!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease or line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.
- Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla, eggs, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Mix until combined.
- Add in the cocoa powder and mix until combined.
- Add in the flour and sour cream, mixing until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, leaving a few out for the top of the muffins.
- Pour batter about 3/4 full into prepared muffin tray.
- Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top and stick muffin tray in oven.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center of muffin.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 3-5 minutes before removing from tray and enjoying!
Recipe adapted from: Baked by Rachel