These Mac and Cheese Muffin Cups are kid friendly, quick to prepare, and packed with flavor! Great for parties, gatherings, or on go as well!!
A few weeks ago, while my hubby was on a business trip, I decided to make their favorite dinner….macaroni and cheese! When the hubby is away, its kid friendly, simple meal options only, haha! My kids are huge fans of the classic blue box, however, I am not. Something about the powdered cheese packet. Yes, it is quite tasty, but powdered cheese just isn’t my thing.
Ever since introducing them to homemade macaroni and cheese, I have hooked them! Now, I know exactly what goes into it AND I can add fun variations along the way! Since I was in the mood to change things up a bit, I made the macaroni and cheese into muffins!! My kids LOVED these and each of them ate two!
Love pasta dishes? Try these blog favorites:
The great part about these muffin cups is prep is quite easy, you can prepare them ahead of time and simply reheat when needed, and these make a great appetizer, snack, or meal (if paired with a side or two).
Change up boring ol’ Mac and Cheese and make these muffins…..you’ll be glad you did!! If you like a litle heat, try drizzling some hot sauce on top. My kids don’t like spice, so I just add some to my cup before enjoying and its an added burst of flavoring!
Enjoy and be sure to let me know what you think of them in the comment section below!
Mac and Cheese Muffin Cups add some fun to the classic dish! Be sure to print the recipe below and give it a try!
Mac and Cheese Muffin Cups
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place liners into muffin tray.
- Spray cooking spray into each muffin cup to avoid sticking.
- Cook macaroni as directed on box. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoon butter.
- Add in the flour, salt, and pepper and stir with whisk until thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Slowly pour in the milk, heating until just boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni.
- Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups.
- In a microwavable bowl, microwave the remaining 2 tablespoon butter until melted.
- Stir in the bread crumbs.
- Spoon mixture evenly on top of macaroni cups.
- Place muffin tray into oven and bake 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve!