These Homemade Apple Biscuits are incredibly fluffy, flaky, and flavorful! Perfect for the Fall season! Serve with Apple Butter, honey, or on its own for a mouthwatering treat!
To me, there is nothing better than a good biscuit! I LOVE to dip mine in honey or homemade jam! Such a tasty breakfast or side dish option, right?!
Over the years, my most favorite biscuits were the ones from Cracker Barrel. Have you tried those? Theirs are so flaky, have a tasty butter flavoring to them, and are quite incredible!
To be honest, I never realized how simple biscuits were to make until I tried my hand at preparing them myself. Yes, I had SEVERAL fails before I perfected them, but the final recipe was a success! As in, perhaps better than Cracker Barrel!! Check out that recipe HERE!!
A few weekends ago, my hubby had planned on making a batch of our flaky buttermilk biscuits! We like to prepare a batch and freeze the dough to pull out when needed!
As he was grabbing the needed ingredients, he was brainstorming fun varieties and decided to make an apple version.
I was originally hesitant, however, I was cautiously open to the idea. The spices can be a great addition, but grated apple? In my biscuit? I wasn’t quite sold!
He set out to work and in no time, had these ready for the oven! Omgosh, they not only looked incredible, but they smelled Heavenly.
The biscuits baked into perfection and had a slightly golden color and hint of Fall flavor throughout!
The apple and spices are not overpowering, in fact, it is quite subtle and adds a nice compliment to the fluffy biscuit!
Overall, my hubby outdid himself with these! Definitely my favorite and something I plan to enjoy year round!
Stay tuned for the Smoked Apple Butter we served ours with! Here is a slow cooker version too, https://thecookinchicks.com/slow-cooker-apple-butter/
If you like biscuits, definitely give these Homemade Apple Biscuits a try! Perfect for breakfast, snacks, side dishes, and more!
Cast Iron Skillet (perfect for baking these in): https://amzn.to/2HHWgTk
Biscuit Cutter: https://amzn.to/3jCJVxd
Pastry Blender: https://amzn.to/3oCifvS
Recipe adapted from: Sugar Dish Me
Homemade Apple Biscuits
- 4 1/2 cups flour *all purpose
- 1 tablespoon baking powder *heaping
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 1/2 cup apple, grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- Cut in the cold butter and apple using two forks or a pastry blender.
- Once crumbs have formed, stir in the buttermilk.
- Sprinkle flour on your working surface as well as on top of the dough in the bowl.
- Turn the dough onto your floured working surface and begin to knead it. Add more flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- Work dough until its about 1 inch thick, then fold in half and continue working dough a few times, ending with it about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Cut the biscuits using a biscuit cutter or something circular that will cut them around 3 inches.
- Place biscuits into a cast iron skillet or nonstick baking pan.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes in oven, or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove and serve!