I don’t know about you but on those cold, dark, dreary nights, nothing tastes as good as a warm bowl of soup. A few nights ago, I decided to make this for dinner since my family was just getting over colds and still not feeling 100% and it was a cold evening. Surprisingly, my kids went crazy over it. They were spooning the broccoli into their mouths so fast, I was one happy mama. My oldest even asked for seconds. Definitely perfect for all the winter nights ahead!!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan/dutch oven.
- Add in the onion and saute for about 4 minutes, or until soft.
- Sprinkle flour on to onions and cook 2-3 minutes, or until no more lumps appear.
- Add in the milk and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a rapid boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer about 15 minutes.
- Add in broccoli and carrots.
- Cook 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add salt, pepper, hot sauce, and cheese, and stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm!!