This slow cooker chicken is the perfect amount of sweetness, with a salty addition that is sure to please any crowd!
If you know one thing about me, it is my obsession with my slow cooker. Or should I say, slow cookers, haha. Yes, I have 4 of them! Crazy, right?!? But hey, I can’t pass up a sale on my favorite kitchen appliance and in my defense, a few of them are different sizes for different needs!
Being summer in Houston, it is HOT HOT HOT and should I mention, humid?!?! I literally can walk outside most days and feel “sticky” and have Lion King hair. You know, the kind of hair that looks like the mane of a lion, only on a female….yeah, that’s me, LOL!
The kids and I spend most of our days hanging around various pools in the community. Needless to say, I am gone for a good portion of the day and don’t have a lot of time to prep dinner in the afternoons. Using my slow cooker is a win for all because its less work for me, allows more time to play in the pool with my kiddos, and still have dinner ready once the hubby makes it home from work!
Last week, the kiddos and I were packing our beach bag for the day and I realized I hadn’t given dinner one thought. Since chicken had been on sale at the store the previous week, I decided to pull out a package and start thinking of dinner ideas! I had some pineapple juice on hand from a jello recipe I had tried earlier in the week, so I decided to use that up and make Hawaiian chicken sandwiches for dinner.
I dumped all the ingredients into my slow cooker, moved on with my day, and sure enough, once dinnertime rolled around, we made our way home and dinner was on the table within minutes! The kids LOVED their sandwiches and even talked me into serving mozzarella sticks with it. Yes, I know, not the healthiest side dish, but hey, we had fresh fruit with it too, and its summer, so I am a bit more lenient with things!
If you are looking for a family approved, crowd pleasing type of dinner, with little to no work needed, look no further!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- In a small bowl, combine the juice, brown sugar, ketchup, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp butter.
- Add chopped onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir in the flour.
- Pour pineapple mixture into skillet and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken slightly.
- Place chicken into slow cooker and pour sauce evenly on top.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low 6-7 hours, or on high 4 hours.
- Once cooked, shred chicken using two forks and serve on rolls!
Recipe adapted from: Lemon Tree Dwelling