About two years ago, my hubby came home from work one day and was raving about the gyro he had had at lunch. I had never tried one before, and truth be told, wasn’t too eager to try it. Time went on and he had them a few more times with some coworkers. Finally, a few months later, he convinced me to try it one night for dinner. He ran out to our local Greek restaurant, ordered two, and brought them home. After taking one bite, I was hooked. It was packed with flavor and definitely not something I was expecting to love. A few weeks ago, as I was walking around our grocery store, I found their flatbread. It immediately reminded me of the gyros we had and I decided to try to make a homemade version. Since I love a good slow cooker recipe, I threw the chicken into my slow cooker along with some spices. I let it cook all day and by the evening, shredded it up and put it on some flatbread. The tzatziki sauce is really what makes these amazing. Definitely do not skip the sauce! Pouring a little of the sauce over the chicken and tossing some diced tomatoes on top, its an amazing dinner (or lunch). The best part of this recipe is that my kids thoroughly enjoyed it. I decided years ago to always have the kids eat the dinners I make. I know sometimes it is easier to make something more kid friendly, but by always having the kids try everything I make, it expands their food favorites. I was shocked to see the kids eating their gyros happily, even asking for a bit more sauce!
All in all, I would call this dinner a major success, and my hubby was thrilled to have an at home, much healthier, gyro recipe to enjoy!!
- 1 lb chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 teaspoon onion powder
- lemon zest from 1 lemon
- lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 cup cucumber (peeled and diced)
- Diced tomatoes
- Place chicken on bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add in the butter, onion powder, lemon zest, lemon juice, chicken broth, oregano, and salt/pepper.
- Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked, shred with two forks. Set aside (or leave in slow cooker) while you make the sauce.
- In a food processor, add the yogurt, lemon juice, dill weed, salt, pepper, and cucumber.
- Process on high until sauce is smooth and creamy.
- To assemble gyro, add some shredded chicken to slice of flatbread. Top with sauce and diced tomatoes. Serve!!