Craving Mexican food? Looking for an easy recipe to spice up date night? This Skillet Steak Fajitas recipe will introduce your loved one to the best steak fajitas they’ve ever had!
Skillet Steak Fajitas Inspiration
A while back, my hubby bought us a cast iron skillet. At the time, I was thinking “what is the difference between that and our current skillet” and also “why the heck is this skillet so heavy”, he-he! Well, the more I use the cast iron skillet, the more I am in love with it. We have grilled it, put it in the oven, over the stove, etc. This past week, I was in the mood for fajitas, and since they are always so quick and easy to whip up, I put everything in the skillet and dinner was done! The kids prefer to have quesadillas over fajitas, so I always make them in our quesadilla maker (which I highly recommend for anyone who likes quesadillas, quite kid friendly).
I marinated the steak for a bit prior to cooking and then cut up onion, red pepper, green pepper, and lime. If you prefer a bit more spice, throw some jalapenos in there or whatever else you like!! Not only is this quick, but it makes great leftovers as well. Enjoy the fajitas on night one, use the leftovers for quesadillas, tostadas, over salad, etc. The possibilities are endless!! Enjoy!!
Skillet Steak Fajitas Ingredients
- Skirt steak, sliced thin (or diced)
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Red pepper
- Green peppers
- White onion
- Flour Tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
*See exact measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Skillet Steak Fajitas Directions
- Grab your cutting board and slice or dice your steak to your preference!
- Then, in a gallon sized bag, add the thin slices of steak, 2 tbsp. olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Close the bag and allow it to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Slice the red pepper, green pepper, and onion while the meat is marinating.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat until warm. Add in the 2 tbsp. olive oil and cook the red pepper, green pepper, and onion until tender.
- Remove the peppers and onion from the hot skillet and set on a plate.
- Remove the steak from the quick marinade and add to the skillet. Cook for about 4-6 minutes or until cooked through.
- Toss the peppers and onion back into the skillet and allow to simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve fajitas in flour tortillas with cheese, sour cream, and salsa on top.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice on top of each fajita prior to eating and enjoy!
It’s also okay to get creative in the kitchen. For example, if you’re thinking everything about this fajita recipe looks amazing but you’re just not a huge fan of steak, then turn it into chicken fajitas! You can even turn it into homemade beef fajitas too. You can add things like Pico de Gallo on top or corn tortillas on the bottom—so many ways to turn this delicious recipe into an even better one—just to your taste! Here is a short list of other ingredients you can add that are commonly found with other fajita recipes!
- Carne Asada
- Fajita veggies (make it vegetarian)
- Bell peppers
- Chili powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Orange peppers
- Lemon juice
What to Pair With Skillet Steak Fajitas
First and foremost, you’re going to want to pair this dish with warm tortillas. But aside from that, you’re going to want some sides for this easy steak fajitas recipe to make it the perfect meal, especially if you’re getting ready to feed the whole family!
- Mexican Street Corn
- Easy Mexican Rice
- The Best Refried Beans
- Whole Fruit Raspberry Margarita
- Tasty Blackberry Margaritas
- Whole Fruit Strawberry Margarita
More Satisfying Steak Recipes
What do you think about this easy skillet steak fajitas recipe? What side dishes or drinks would you be excited to pair it with? This is truly one of my favorite meals, especially when I want to shake things up in the kitchen, and on a random, busy Tuesday!
Skillet Steak Fajitas
- 1 lb. skirt steak sliced thin (or you can dice it like I did)
- 4 tbsp. olive oil divided
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- Flour Tortillas
- 1 Lime
- Cheese sour cream, salsa, etc.
- In a gallon sized bag, add the sliced steak, 2 tbsp. olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Close bag and allow to marinate at least 20 minutes.
- Slice the red pepper, green pepper, and onion while meat is marinating.
- Heat skillet until warm. Add in the 2 tbsp. olive oil and cook the red pepper, green pepper, and onion until tender.
- Remove peppers/onion from skillet and set on a plate.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and add to the skillet. Cook for about 4-6 minutes, until cooked through.
- Toss the peppers/onion back into the skillet and allow to simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve fajitas in flour tortillas with cheese, sour cream, salsa, etc. on top.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice on top of each fajita prior to eating! Enjoy!!!