A few weeks ago my hubby built me an herb garden using a pallet he had at work! Not only did it turn out SO cute, but I now get to enjoy tons of fresh herbs in my own backyard. Many of you probably have large gardens, herbs, etc. but I haven’t since I don’t really have a green thumb. I like to joke that my house is where gardens come to die, haha! I tend to forget to water, forget that the bunnies can reach it, slugs can eat it, etc. Not this time though! I am prepared and definitely keeping a watch on my herbs!!
Yesterday, I noticed that I had a TON of Basil ready to use up. I decided to pick several leaves and chop it into a brown rice dish to go with our dinner. Not only did the dish have so much flavor, but it was relatively easy to throw together too! All three of my kids ate their rice up happily and I even had a kiddo go back for seconds! Now THAT is a winner in my book, hehe!!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp roasted garlic
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh Basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, dry
- 3 cups vegetable broth OR chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a medium sauce-pot, add in the olive oil and turn stove on to medium high heat.
- Add in the roasted garlic and onions. Simmer for about 4-5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add in the Basil and rice., sauteing for about 2 minutes, or until rice is coated evenly with mixture.
- Add in vegetable or chicken broth and salt.
- Allow to boil, then reduce heat to low and cover pot.
- Cook for about 30 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Make sure you stir every 5 minutes or so while cooking!
Recipe adapted from: Cooking on the Weekends