Last weekend, my hubby made this coffee cake for our breakfast. Not only did he whip this up in no time, but all five of us loved it and deemed it “one of the best coffee cakes ever”. It was moist, fluffy, and had a slight butter taste. The cinnamon sugar topping brought this to a whole new level, and we were all glad to have enough leftover for the next day too.
This budget friendly cake would be perfect with your morning coffee, brunch with friends, when company comes into town, or just as a yummy breakfast!
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- Grease a 9 x13 baking pan and preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, fold in the 1/4 cup butter until coarse crumbles form. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Fold in the 1/2 cup butter using pastry blender or two knives.
- In a different small bowl, add the egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour wet mixture into medium bowl (dry mixture) and combine until batter forms.
- Spread evenly into greased pan.
- Crumble cinnamon sugar topping onto batter and place in oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy!!
Recipe adapted from: Budget Savvy Diva