Last weekend, a neighbor of ours was firing up his smoker and smoking all sorts of meats. We were able to get some amazing brisket from him, along with his award winning BBQ sauce. Aren’t we spoiled?? Hehe!! Anyhow, for dinner, we decided to go along with the BBQ theme and make some cornbread and fried okra. Since we had never made fried okra before, it was quite the learning experience. After tweaking different methods, we came up with this one and it is perfect!! Incredibly simple and delicious!! My biggest piece of advice when making this is to make sure the oil is not too hot. We accidentally put the heat on high to warm it up and when we dropped the okra in, it was bubbling everywhere and made a huge mess. Once we lowered the temperature, it was perfect!!
- 1-2 lbs okra, sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Vegetable Oil
- In a pie plate or other shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, ground black pepper, and chipotle pepper if using.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and milk.
- Working in small batches, coat the okra with the egg mixture, followed by the flour mixture.
- Place about 1 inch worth of vegetable oil in a skillet or dutch oven and heat to about 375.
- Place a few coated okra pieces into the heated oil and cook until golden brown. Use a spoon to flip over a few times, to cook evenly.
- Place cooked okra onto a paper towel to absorb extra oil.
- Continue working in small batches until all okra is fried. Enjoy!!