A few days ago, I looked at my pile of bananas and realized once again, they were too ripe and needed to go into the freezer. When I went to put them in, I realized I had already built up a collection of about 8 bananas, and had about 4 more to add to the pile. Ugh, right?? WRONG! I LOVE LOVE LOVE having bananas to use up since there are so many different ways to use them up. Since I was having a major chocolate craving, I decided to skip the banana bread this time and make chocolate banana muffins. Since they have bananas in them, they are healthy right? Hehe!! Not only did these turn out so moist and delicious, but they were full of chocolate and made the perfect dessert. I used applesauce in place of most of the sugar, so although I won’t say they are good for you, there are certainly worse things out there. 🙂
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (more for drizzling if desired)
- In a bowl, combine the egg, brown sugar, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Add in the mashed bananas, stirring until well combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into a greased or lined muffin tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 350, for about 25 minutes.
- Once baked, remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Melt some additional chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle the chocolate on top of each muffin.