A few days ago, I shared with you “the BEST sugar cookies“. Seriously, they are the easiest cookies to make and require NO chilling!! To go with those cookies, I am now sharing my go to Royal Icing.
For those of you that don’t know, I am very new into the world of cookie/cupcake decorating. I am definitely not perfect at it, but slowly but surely, I am getting better. Over the last few weeks, I have tried several recipes for royal icing. Some were sticky, some were watery, some never dried, and others tasted icky. This icing however, had everyone going back for a second cookie!!
It dried perfectly, was so simple to make, and it was the perfect consistency!!
When you are outlining your cookies, keep it the consistency of honey….and then to flood the cookie, add a few drops of water to it and bam, perfect consistency for flooding!!
If you have any tips or techniques that work great for you, I would love to hear them!!
- 1.5 tbsp. meringue powder
- 3 tbsp. warm water
- 1/2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Gel food coloring
- In a bowl, combine the meringue powder and warm water.
- Beat this mixture for one minute until you have a frothy and white mixture.
- Add in the corn syrup, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Beat mixture until it thickens and peaks start forming, usually about 5 minutes in.
- Using a toothpick, add in a few drops at a time of gel coloring until desired color is reached.
*The consistency at this point is thick and honey like. If you need it thinner, add a few drops of water at a time until desired consistency is reached.