A few years back, I was talking with one of my friends about dinner ideas and she mentioned that her family loved a casserole called “Tater Tot Casserole”. I remember thinking, “hmmmm, that sounds interesting, but I don’t know if I would want to try that”. Yes, tater tots are delicious, but in a casserole? Well, she passed me the recipe and I decided to finally make it, years later. It had been one of those recipes I stuck into a recipe book and forgot completely about. This past week, I had pulled the book out and found it again. Since I had most of the ingredients on hand, this casserole became dinner that night! As it went into the oven, it looked quite pretty. As it came out of the oven, it smelled amazing. My kids even came down the stairs to see what was making the house “smell so good”. Not only was this packed with flavor, but the kids LOVED this! Asked for seconds and everything! Not only is this the perfect comfort food item, but it also comes together quickly, is inexpensive, and would make a perfect freezer meal!
My only regret was not trying it sooner. I guess it goes to show you, don’t judge a recipe until you try it! I will most definitely be making this again!!
- 1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 can corn, drained
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 lb bag frozen tater tots
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown the meat until no longer pink.
- Drain fat and add in the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix well.
- Remove skillet from heat and mix in the corn, sour cream, cream of mushroom, and milk.
- Spread mixture into the bottom of baking pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of pan.
- Add tater tots to top of casserole, in an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven, 375, for about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve!! Enjoy!