This hearty Italian soup is a one pot meal that is quick to prep and the Instant Pot does all the work!
Have you jumped on board the Instant Pot train yet?! If not, oh boy…..you really should! I know, I was skeptical too and chalked the Instant Pot up to a fad, but let me tell you…its life changing. As in….dinner on the table from frozen chicken breasts to chicken noodle soup in under 25 minutes!
A few months ago, I ordered myself an Instant Pot because come on, being a blogger, I thoroughly enjoy trying out all the new gadgets and appliances! It arrived a few short days later and literally sat in the box for about one week. I admit, it kind of freaked me out. Pressure cookers, previously binge watching Breaking Bad, and now having one in my kitchen….a little intimidating, right?!
Well, finally one evening, my hubby talked me into trying it and we started simple with rice. If I managed to mess it up, at least its cheap and little to no work involved. Well, let me tell you, the rice was amazing! Even beating out the end result of our rice cooker (which has now been sold off haha).
After seeing how simple it was to use and the intimidation factor being removed, I set making macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, Zuppa Toscana soup, chicken noodle soup, etc. Each and every recipe has been a huge hit so far but this IP Pasta E Fagioli soup may go down as my most favorite recipe so far! I love going to Olive Garden and enjoying their version, but of course an at home recipe is much preferred since I have three little ones that aren’t fans of going out. I made a stove top version (https://thecookinchicks.com/2014/06/pasta-e-fagioli-soup/) that has been my go to, but I will now stick to this Instant Pot recipe as its quick and easy!!
Pasta, Italian Sausage, fresh carrots, beans, celery, and more make this hearty Italian soup a must try! I paired ours with a side salad and French bread to make a complete meal. My hubby and I even fought over the leftovers the next day! My kids scraped their bowls clean and my oldest son even went back for seconds!
Hope you enjoy!!
To check out all my IP recipes, click here!!
Instant Pot Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Ditalini Pasta
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 lb Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 6 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks Celery, diced
- 1 cup Carrots, chopped
- 14.5 oz Diced Tomatoes, do not drain
- 15 oz. Tomato Sauce
- 15.5 oz Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 15.25 oz Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 15.5 oz Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 3 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- Garnish with: Parmesan Cheese and Basil
- Add the water, salt, and oil to the IP.
- Press the saute button and allow the water to heat up.
- When water simmers, add the pasta and stir.
- Close lid and move valve to sealed.
- Press manual (high) for 4 minutes. Once completed, do a quick release.
- Once pressure has released and pin drops, open lid and place pasta in colander. Rinse with cold water to complete cook process. Set aside.
- Press saute on IP again and allow to start heating up.
- Add the olive oil and onion. Allow to cook until onion is translucent.
- Add in the Italian Sausage and Red Pepper Flakes cooking until meat is no longer pink and cooked through.
- Add the Italian seasoning, pepper, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, thyme, and broth.
- Press cancel button to turn off sauté on IP. Place lid on pot securely and move valve to sealing position.
- Press manual (high) for 7 minutes followed by a natural release for 15 minutes.
- Do a quick release after the 15 minutes to release any additional pressure. Once pin drops, open lid and stir.
- Add in the cooked pasta, Parmesan cheese, and Basil. Serve!!
Here is the Instant Pot I use and love!! http://amzn.to/2EHW1Cl
Here are the soup bowls I use (as shown in picture above) http://amzn.to/2E4CuKY