Are you as excited as I am to be heading into the Fall weather?? Well, I live in Houston, so my Fall right now is still about 90….but we’ll get there eventually, right???!
Since it IS Fall though, I have been slowly adding in some soups, stews, and chili’s to the menu each week. I am not going to let the heat outside hinder on my pumpkin, sweater wearing, soup making fun! Well, okay, I haven’t brought out the sweaters just yet, but the pumpkin and soups are in full swing!!
A few days ago, as I was heading out to the gym, I quickly threw the ingredients for this soup in my slow cooker and moved on with my day. By the time I had run my errands and come home, it was already late afternoon and the kids were coming home from school. I quickly shredded the chicken in my slow cooker, did a quick stir, and went back to homework duty. By the time dinner came around, this soup was ready to go and smelling amazing!! We added some cheese, sour cream, a few jalapenos, and served it with a tortilla. The entire family, including my kids, loved this and had seconds!!
I put little to no effort into this, had plenty for leftovers the next night, and it was a great inexpensive dinner!!
With Fall/Winter months ahead, don’t pass this one up!
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. taco seasoning (or 1 packet)
- 16 oz. kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15.5 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 11 oz. Mexicorn, drained
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- In the slow cooker, place chicken on bottom.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, taco seasoning, kidney beans, black beans, and corn.
- Place lid on top and cook low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- Once cooked, shred chicken using two forks, and stir soup to incorporate shredded chicken.
- Serve in bowls with cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, and any other topping desired!
Recipe adapted from: Wine and Glue