This Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup is simple to make and packed with flavor! Shredded chicken, diced peppers, cream cheese, onion, and seasonings combined into a meal everyone will enjoy!
Typically, I make a recipe, post a sneak peek on my Instagram story, and within about a week, try to get it posted on the blog. This recipe however created such a buzz and I had several requests for it to be shared, so I did a quick turn around!
Yesterday, Houston had some crazy rain (thanks to Hurricane Imelda) and I was pretty much house bound. No flooding here luckily, but there was flooding around our area, driving conditions weren’t great, and all extra curricular activities were cancelled after school.
Since it is rare to have all three kids home in the evening, I took the opportunity to make a hearty pot of soup. I tossed everything together mid afternoon and let the soup simmer for a few hours. If you’re in a hurry, this soup can be enjoyed in about 25 minutes, no need to simmer.
Not only did my house smell wonderful, but this soup was a HUGE hit. As in, we ate the entire pot! Yep….scraped clean! Impressive, right?
I serve ours with some tortillas on the side and fresh fruit, however, a side salad is a great option too!
Add some toppings of your choice to really change this up! We served ours with chopped cilantro, cheddar cheese, and sour cream.
With Fall weather heading our way, this is the perfect meal to make for good ol’ comfort food! Shredded chicken, diced peppers/onions, and cream cheese combined into a creamy, flavorful soup that will impress all!
Enjoy and be sure to let me know what you think! You can check out my other soup recipes here!
Here is the soup pot I use, https://amzn.to/2LGCG9C
*You can use 2-3 tbsp. of this seasoning in lieu of the packet, its a favorite…https://amzn.to/2LEyWoV
Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup
- Soup Bowls
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cooked/shredded *you can use rotisserie chicken to save time
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 20 oz diced tomatoes w/ green chilies *I used 2 cans mild Rotel
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 packet fajita seasoning *you can use taco seasoning if preferred
- toppings of choice: sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, avocado, etc
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add in the onion, garlic, and green pepper and allow to simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese to the pot and mash around a bit to incorporate.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes (and juice from can), chicken broth, whipping cream, and fajita seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add in the cooked chicken and stir.
- Serve with toppings of choice. Enjoy!