One of my favorite breakfasts is a yogurt with some granola in it. I used to buy packages of granola from the store thinking that they were healthy and a great start to my day. One morning, I was casually reading the back of the granola package and noticed there was a ton of added sugar! Now, I am not one to shy from sugar (check out our desserts, you’ll see, hehe), but early in the morning after my workout, I really didn’t want to be eating tons of sugar. I set out on a mission to start making my own. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but it is also much more inexpensive. Each time I make a batch, I can change it up depending on what ingredients I have on hand. My kids enjoy it with their breakfasts now too! Whether enjoying some by the handful, throwing some into a parfait, or enjoying it with oatmeal, you’ll love it!!
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey (try to use local raw honey)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- In a large bowl, combine the almonds, oats, salt, cinnamon, and brown sugar together.
- In a small microwaveable safe bowl, combine the honey and coconut oil.
- Microwave for about 40 seconds, or until melted.
- Stir mixture and add in the vanilla/almond extracts.
- Pour liquid ingredients over the oat mixture and mix thoroughly making sure all is coated.
- Spread mixture onto a lined cookie sheet.
- Place sheet into a preheated oven, 350, and bake for about 5 minutes.
- Use a spatula to toss the oats around and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Break into small pieces and store in an airtight container or large Ziploc bag.