A few days ago, I spent the morning making 12 of these casseroles for families around my neighborhood. Not only was it incredibly easy to put together, but everyone had great feedback and said they all thoroughly enjoyed it! This casserole is packed with flavor and lots of cheese, making these a family favorite! I recommend doubling the recipe and putting one pan in the freezer for a later date. Yum!!
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 package ( 19 oz) cheese tortellini (I use frozen)
- 1 jar pasta sauce (26 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, do not drain (28 oz)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp dried Basil
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a pan over medium heat, cook beef/turkey until no longer pink.
- Drain fat/grease and return meat back to pan.
- Add pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, Basil, onion powder, and sugar.
- Allow meat sauce to simmer for about 5 minutes over low heat.
- Spread 1/3 sauce onto the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Add 1/2 the tortellini on top of the sauce (at this point, the tortellini is frozen or thawed, either works great).
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella/Parmesan cheese on top of the tortellini.
- Repeat layers, making sure to end with remaining sauce and cheese on top.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and place in a preheated oven, 400, for 30 minutes. (40 minutes if tortellini is frozen).
- Remove foil and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve!!