I don’t know about you, but when the cooler weather heads my way, I love nothing more than wearing sweaters, making soups and stews, and having “in home, cozy” evenings! Well, living in Houston, I don’t get many of those, so when “Fall” hits, I just pretend the cooler weather is here and make soups/stews anyways! I’m sure come January, I will be able to bring out the sweaters, but until then….my A/C runs and I make my soups, haha!
Last week, I wanted a slow cooker recipe and decided to go through my pantry and refrigerator to see what I had. I had potatoes, bacon, broth, and onion….so I knew potato soup would be just the thing to make! With a few changes to my older recipe, as well as combining a few changes from one I found….this one has quickly become our new favorite! My kids, hubby, neighbor, and self all thought it was amazing! Incredibly flavorful!!
If you love good ol’ potato soup, look no further…this is the ULTIMATE recipe!!
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 tbsp. bacon grease (you can also use butter if you don’t have any grease from the bacon)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Toppings of choice: Additional crumbled bacon, sour cream, chives, green onions
- In your slow cooker, add the diced bacon, chicken broth, potatoes, and onion.
- Place lid on top and cook low for 6-7 hours or high for about 4 hours.
- Once the potatoes are tender and done, cook the bacon grease (or butter) in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and continue stirring for about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the evaporated milk and continue to simmer for about 3-4 minutes, or until mixture gets really thick.
- Pour milk mixture immediately into slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add in the cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper stirring once more until all is well combined.
- Serve with toppings of choice!