When the weather is cold and gloomy, one of my favorite things to cook is soup in the slow cooker. This past week, my hubby has been out of town, so I have been trying to keep meals extra “kid friendly”. When I put this soup together, I went into knowing that most likely I would hear, “what’s that green stuff”?, “I don’t think I like tomatoes”?, “I decided I don’t like pasta anymore”, etc. If any of you have kids, you probably know how that goes!
Well, I was completely wrong. I put their bowls around the table and all throughout dinner, there were no complaints. All three of them ate ALL their soup, and one of the three asked for seconds! I would definitely call that a win!
With only about 5 minutes worth of prep to this soup, this is definitely a new favorite in our family. Inexpensive, packed with flavor, and kid friendly…..this is a must try!!
- 1 package (19 oz) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 lb Italian sausage (I used mild, but any work great)
- 1 small bag fresh spinach (6 oz)
- 2 cans (14 oz) diced Italian tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Cook Italian sausage until no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Place sausage, tortellini, spinach, Italian tomatoes, and vegetable broth into your slow cooker.
- Cut the cream cheese into small pieces (this helps it melt easier), and add in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 5-6 hours.
- Scoop into bowls and serve with some yummy bread!!