To start off our guest submissions this week, I was sent this wonderful recipe for Corn Light Bread by Barbara!!! Enjoy and a big thanks to Barbara for sharing such a wonderful, memory filled recipe! I can’t wait to try it!!
This is a recipe from my Mother-in-Law….Elizabeth Love Hardison. She was a terrific lady and a very good cook. The first time I ate with them she had cooked this bread. Growing up as a child I never cared much for cornbread (I know better now) and only ate it because I wanted to be polite. I loved it! This was back in 1974 and she had it when she was growing up, so I know it is an old recipe.
- 1 – 1/2 cups self rising corn meal
- 1/2 cup sifted Flour (I use self-rising)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1- 1/2 buttermilk
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Butter a loaf pan (8 inch).
- Mix all ingredients by hand and pour into pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool in pan 15 minutes!