With Christmas coming up, our house has an elf on the shelf. I am sure you have heard of it, but if not, it is an “elf” that comes from the North Pole and tells Santa each night if the kiddos have been good or bad. My kids LOVE seeing where Chippy (they named him) ends up each morning. He’s been sitting in plants, on shelves, making messes in the kitchen, and even got taped to the wall by the Barbies. It’s definitely a fun tradition with the kids and they enjoy it!
Last weekend, Chippy was on the kitchen counter when we all woke up. The kids thought he was in the kitchen because he wanted to “bake” something, so that’s just what we did! We whipped these baked chocolate donuts up, and added a peppermint drizzle on top! They were a great morning treat, and when we uploaded the pictures from that morning, we found Chippy photo bombing one.
These donuts are baked, not fried, and take only a few minutes to whip up. Moist, fluffy, and full of flavor…..skip the trip to the donut store and make these at home! Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder.
- Mix in the egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Once combined, grease a donut pan and pour batter into each donut tray, about 2/3 full. *I use a Ziploc bag to pipe the batter in to keep it cleaner
- Preheat oven to 325 and bake donuts for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, milk, and peppermint.
- Once donuts are slightly cooled, drizzle the glaze over each donut.