Since Halloween is coming up, my hubby and kids carved their pumpkins last weekend. It was the first year all the kids were old enough to do their own! My youngest carved a scary haunted house, my middle carved an owl, and my oldest carved a ghost! It was quite comical watching the kids lift the tops off their pumpkins and learn how to clean it out. I don’t think they were quite ready for the smell, goo inside, and mess. Me on the other hand, I had a great time watching them, taking pictures, and then of course, roasting seeds for a treat afterwards.
Typically, I just use a little salt/pepper combination and pop the tray in the oven. This year, I decided to sweeten it up a bit and use cinnamon sugar. I had these ready for the oven in less than five minutes, and the house smelled wonderful while they were roasting. The kids devoured these and begged me to make these again next year!!
All in all, I would call pumpkin carving a success. From the end result of the pumpkins, to the tasty seeds we all got to enjoy…..it was definitely a family fun evening!!
- 2 cups Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- Wash pumpkin seeds and pat dry using a paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine the pumpkin seeds, coconut oil, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Spread seeds evenly on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place pan in preheated oven, 325, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn over the seeds one time using a spatula and place back into over for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes prior to enjoying!!