With this past weekend being Mother’s Day weekend, my hubby surprised me and made breakfast for us. While I was enjoying my morning coffee, he made this for all of us to enjoy and it was the perfect start to our day. The cake was incredibly moist, flavorful, and didn’t take too long to make. The kids especially loved it and after enjoying their first piece, asked for seconds. Whether having company over, wanting a yummy breakfast or snack, or needing something to bring to a gathering; this is the perfect coffee cake for any occasion!
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour in the melted butter and mix until crumbs form. Set bowl aside.
- In a different bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the softened butter to the bowl and mix until creamy (use an electric mixer for this part).
- Add in sugar and eggs mixing until combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and sour cream to the bowl, alternating between the two. Be sure not to overmix.
- Pour half the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle half the streusel mixture over batter.
- Continue layer process one more time ending with the remaining streusel.
- Bake in oven for about 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean once inserted in middle of cake.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving! Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: Pretty Simple Sweet