I have a confession to make. I.AM.OBSESSED.WITH.MUDDY.BUDDIES (aka puppy chow). When I say obsessed, I mean, don’t bring that stuff within a 10 miles radius of me unless you want me to eat it all. Yes, 10 miles, maybe even more since I am definitely willing to drive far distances to get my hands on it, he-he!! Something about chocolate, peanut butter, crunchy cereal, me thinking its only 5 calories per bag, powdered sugar, etc. Anyhow, I saw a recipe from Dinner, Dishes, & Dessert for Puppy Chow bars and fell in love. I changed the recipe to make it more like the puppy chow I make at home, since as I mentioned, I am a bit obsessed. : )
These were SO tasty and much easier to eat in “bar” form. I left mine as a clumpy bar, and didn’t push the cereal down to the point it broke into pieces. However you choose to make these, you’ll love the end result!! YUM!!
- 5 cups Corn Chex cereal (I just used store brand)
- 2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet is my favorite)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large marshmallows (these just help hold it more as a bar, if you don’t have on hand, its not a big deal)
- Powdered Sugar
- In a large bowl, pour cereal in.Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix chocolate chips, peanut butter, vanilla, and marshmallows Microwave in 45 second increments until chocolate mixture is smooth and melted.
- Pour chocolate over cereal and mix until coated.
- Pour into an 8×8 dish.
- Push mixture down firmly if you want it to be more of a “bar”, or you can leave it thick and “chunky” like I did.
- Sprinkle desired amount of powdered sugar on top.
- Either place in fridge to set up firm, or leave in an air tight container, room temperature, for a more soft bar.